Saint's bountygate

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by pjbleek, Mar 22, 2012.

1. pjbleek

pjbleek

+2
    Damn, Commissioner Goodell!!!!!
    if the coaches being suspended what do you think they are going to do to the players?
    he has been criticized by some for being too harsh, what do you think?

2. porterjack

porterjack
    Valued Contributor
    Valued Contributor

+304
    i understand his line, he has to take a stand, but now he is impacting the coaches and the owners, (read $$$$$)

i would love to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting between him and owners, coz they all now have to be careful

he has set a precedent

3. pjbleek

pjbleek

+2
    just like Spygate from five years ago with the Patriots....

4. porterjack

porterjack
    Valued Contributor
    Valued Contributor

+304
    i am not so sure that was as widespread as peopel speculated, but an incentive to go out and "neutralise the Offence (QB)" I could be convinced that all Def Coords have done this ( with Head Coach blessing), it is their job ( in their eyes)

5. pjbleek

pjbleek

+2
    Jeff Fisher seemed a little stunned that he hired that coordinator and when found out....YIKES!!!!

6. retro

retro

+0
    Uhh.... that didn't set an example at all except to say that all the punishment cheating gets you is a slap on the wrist.

7. Panacea

Panacea

+1
    I'm super bummed out, I love Sean Payton, and I love the Saints. It's tough for me to really accept this shit's gone on because my family is so biased :24:

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, and what happens to players if anything.

8. Tangerine

Tangerine
    Slightly Acidic

+0
    I think the Commissioner was too lenient. The problem with this action is that it has seriously riled up Saints fans (who always think they are right and everyone else can fuck off) to the point where their sales of tickets and merch will go through the roof. So no, I don't think the owners will have ANY problems with this. It will put money IN their pocket.

And please don't compare this to the Patriots deal. An intern with a video camera in a sport where film study is an essential part of everyone's job in no way compares to offering money to injure someone.

What SHOULD have been (or would have if I was the commisioner) would have been a REAL punishment that would have made damn sure nothing like this ever happened again.

-Lifetime ban for every one of the coaches and players involved
    -Felony charges for assault and conspiracy for everyone shown to have carried out any injuries
    -Complete shutdown of the entire Saints football team for one year. Take them off the field, take them off TV. No source of revenue for one year.

THAT would have sent a message. What Goodell did only carried a little upfront shock value. In the end the team will make more money, and so will Payton. He'll get paid a bundle as a TV commentator for the season.